10.18.2011

I'm the Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised

In our Free Store conversation on Wednesday morning Carlos continued to lead us through a study of the book of Romans in the New Testament.  We focused on Romans 7:1-13 which Carlos told us was written for legalists or those that were dominated by the "don't system."  The passage basically says that people can have geniune freedom from all forms of oppressive rules.  Carlos said that freedom from the law didn't mean that we could just live as we please and do whatever the hell we wanted which we thought was a bit disappointing.   He said there are basically three ways to live; 1.) by the law or the don't system, 2.) by doing whatever the fuck we want to do, 3.) or by being guided by the Spirit of God.

We talked a bit about how the law is designed largely to show us what not to do in order to prevent us from doing harm to ourselves or others.  Carlos asked us what we would say to the child that asks why they can't run in the street.  Sheila said, "I'll beat your ass" which made us laugh.  But we all realized that when a parent says, "Don't run in the street" it is really for the child's own safety.  Carlos went on to say that the law helps us to recognize things that are wrong in the world.  He asked, "When greed takes over how much is really enough?  This is why the banks have all the money and we're broke."  Sheila said, "So that's where my money went" which made us laugh.

At this point Carlos brought up how being told what not to do can actually motivate us to do the very thing that is prohibited.  He said that people often make the mistake of harping on others for doing something wrong which is usually counterproductive.  He told us about a Johnny Paycheck song, "I'm the Only Hell (My Mama Ever Raised)" which made us laugh.  The lyrics demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the don't sysetm.

Well, I can't sell my momma short on loving me
I guess that's why she let me go so far
Momma always stopped me short of stealing
I guess thats why I had to steal that car.

She told me not to smoke it
But I did and it took me far away
And I turned out to be
The only hell mama ever raised.
(Courtesy of cowboylyrics.com)

As the conversation moved to its conclusion the question was asked, "Why do we resist control?"  Sheila said, "I just don't like people controlling me."  Someone else pointed out that "No" is often one of the first words a child will learn and that it is important in developing a sense of individuality and personal control.  Another friend suggested we resist control because we don't like a hierarchy in which someone else is above us telling us what to do.  We don't like to be subordinate to other people.  At this Carlos said, "Everyone has a voice and everyone's opinion matters."  He also asked, "Why should I listen to you if you don't love me?" which we thought was a great question to ponder.

1 comment:

Sherae said...

Great read this morning. Very thought provoking, the little hamster in my brain is running around the wheel really fast now. Smile.